My first trip of the season is coming up in less than two weeks, and Algonquin lakes remain iced in. Between the snow melt and a ton of rain in the last couple of weeks, water levels are very, very high. There are road and trail closures all over, but the good news (for me) is that Opeongo is accessible. Algonquin Outfitters put out some pictures yesterday that included a bunch of the Opeongo store and surroundings, and in the background of some was a car - just a regular car. So if they can get there, so can I.
But I'm really hoping for some sunshine and warmer weather between now and my trip. I'm expecting portages to be wet and mucky (and probably flooded in low lying areas), but some nice weather could alleviate some of that. Unfortunately the forecast doesn't look like that's going to be the case.
I think it's going to be a challenging trip. 9 days, very early season, and most likely far from ideal conditions. But camping is like pizza - even when it's bad, it's still pretty good!